I seem to post a fair number of muffin recipes. Which is odd, because I don’t generally eat a lot of muffins. But I guess when it comes to making my own recipes, muffins are one of the ones I like to make.
This recipe were inspired by a recipe on the Cookspiration App. Have you heard of Cookspiration? It’s a fun little website/app run by the Dietitians of Canada. It has different categories for the day and time you’re on the app, and gives you healthy recipe ideas!
Anyway I got started on this muffin recipe, and low and behold I was missing a few key ingredients. (expert baking tip: check your cupboard for ingredients before starting.)
So I had to make a few replacements and I was pleasantly surprised by the results.
These have proven to be a great energizing snack for my mid-afternoon slumps or just before a workout!
Makes: 12 muffins
Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Baking: 15-20 minutes
1 very ripe banana, mashed
1 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Olympic 2%, but what you have will work!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins (or dried fruit of your choice)
1. Preheat the oven to 400F (200C) and grease or line a muffin tin
2. In a small bowl beat together the eggs, sugar, yogurt and vanilla.
3. Add banana, and zucchini and mix thoroughly.
4. In a large bowl whisk together the whole wheat flour, ground flax, chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir until just moistened. Stir in raisins.
6. Fill muffin tins evenly. Bake for about 18 minutes* (*my oven is super over-hot so I baked them for 15 minutes, I always bake for less, check them and if they need more time put them back in).
Nutritionals: Calories 154, Total Fat 4.5g (polyunsaturated 2.6g), Fibre 3.7g, Sugar 14.9g, Protein: 4.7g
They aren’t super sweet, which I like, but it only makes the sweetness of the raisins pop even more brightly. Enjoy!