Recently I found myself feeling somewhat uninspired for what to cook. I looked through my cookbooks, and went about to see what ingredients I had on hand, when I noticed a few random food bits in my fridge that needed using up… a large opened can of pumpkin puree, a bag of mushrooms from the week before.
Inspiration struck. Using a flavour combination from a lasagne I’d made in the fall the following recipe came together. It’s delicious; a hearty comforting bowl of sweet and savoury flavours (along with some healthy things like fibre, protein and vitamins).
Mushroom & Pumpkin Red Lentils
Serves: 4 hefty servings
1-2 tbsp olive oil (I used ~1.5)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
5-6 crimini mushrooms, chopped
1 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp each sage and thyme
Sprinkle of pepper
1 cup pumpkin puree
1.25 cups red lentils (could use 1 cup easily, I just overfilled the cup as I was pouring)
2.5 cups vegetable broth
1. Heat the oil on medium heat in a pot or large sauce pan, add the onion and stir cooking for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms, cook until mushrooms have reduced and browned, and onions are translucent 3-5 minutes.
3. Add spices, mix in followed by the pumpkin puree and the red lentils stir it all together a little (just makes adding the broth easier).
4. Add broth, stirring thoroughly so there are no lumps of pumpkin puree. Turn heat up and bring to a boil, turning it down and simmering for 15 minutes or until lentils are cooked through.
5. Serve over rice, or enjoy with a piece of naan bread!