I have about ten unfinished draft posts saved, and none of them seem to be finishing themselves.
So I’ve decided to share a recipe with you guys instead. Recently I’ve decided to try and master a perfect granola bar. I know there are many great sounding granola bar recipes out there, but I basically started playing around in the kitchen one day, and this is what I’ve come up with so far.
I would not consider these my “perfected” granola bars, but my coworkers enjoyed them, and perhaps sharing the recipe will spark your imagination in some way. I’ve had some buckwheat flour hanging out in my cupboard, so I thought for a dark rich flavour I’d use it. I also used bananas, which tend to take over the flavour, but still worked well.
Buckwheat & Banana Granola Bars
2 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup each raisins, and chocolate chips (or your favourite add ins)
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup flax seed
1/2 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350F, and prep a 9×11” (mine was 9×13”) pan.
2. Place flax and water in a bowl, allow to thicken.
3. Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Mix together wet ingredients (I cheated and used a blender, and it worked amazing! The bananas I had were slight frozen, and blending all the wet together gave a beautiful consistent texture).
5. Add wet to dry mixing thoroughly until well combined. Spread into baking dish.
6. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes (*My oven is CRAP, so this is the best estimation I can give. My nose is my best friend, because I can smell when anything I’ve baked is done. So in a normal oven 20minutes is probably the go to.)
7. Allow to cool, cut into bars, and eat! They keep well in fridge and I had about 24 bars.
I plan to be back with a slightly changed recipe (this was trial #2). I found these to be sort of like granola-y banana bread, chewy with a little crunch. So if you like granola bars, and you like banana bread, and you think the two could belong together, these bars are for you!